The Buddhist temple and Monastery in Banjar North Bali, near Lovina, is more then just a “tourist attraction”. It is still used, and you can find groups of people staying in the Ashram nearby. It well knows as Vihara Buddha Banjar, is the biggest Buddhist temple in Bali. It is located at a hilly area at Tegehe Village, Desa Banjar, Buleleng Regency about 22 km west of Singaraja City and 11 km from tourist spot Lovina.
The Buddhist temple is not a tourist trap, entrance is free, but donations are welcome. Even the sarongs you may need to enter the temple, you can use for free. The Buddhist temple is situated in the hills above Lovina and offers nice views. In the 6th century Buddhist monks suppose to have landed and settled in the North of Bali, and the Hindu religion of Bali has a lot of Buddhist influence.
The terraced complex has a few praying rooms with golden Buddha’s, and several Buddha statues in the garden. On the highest level of the complex you find a Stupa, almost like a small version of the Borobudur in Java. In the temple you find references to the Borobudur.
Brahmavihara Arama Budha Banjar is a Buddhist temple that was built in the late of 20th century Christian exactly in 1960 and after 1970; it was opened formally in 1973. Actually Buddhist temple had been built before located at Banjar Tegehe around the hot spring area of banjar village, but at that time only a few of people adherents Buddha. Then after Buddhist adherents were getting more increasing then Brahmavihara Arama was finally built on such area of land; the area has been expanded in order to be able to build Borobudur Miniature that is located on the Southern part of the Brahmavihara Arama that has been built and opened.
Principally there are 5 complexes of buildings:
- Upasatha Gara : located on the top of the hill on the west, is a comfortable and a quite place. On the wall there is relief of Buddha’s birth, and in the center there is Buddhist statue in the condition reaching the heaven. In religious and ritual activities this space is functioned as stabilizing the candidate of Monk, a stating stage to follow the next training. It was in this space the Monk said their oath.
- Dharmasala : is located on the east, Dharmasala room is a kind of a room for giving lecture. This room is also a place for giving preach and other spiritual activities.
- Stupa : is a giant bell-like building located at the corner of North West, its walls are made of concrete, carved on relieves that are very interesting. In the Stupa there are many sacred Buddhist things kept such as bright and fire proof things.
- Bodi tree : at the northwest corner there is a big Bodi tree that is decorated with relief. This place is a victory of Buddha when reaching eternal perfection. In this place visitors usually do meditation especially on Asuda and Waicak Holydays.
- Kuti : at Vihara complex there are rooms called Kuti. These rooms are the home stay for Monks and students who are studying and a place for Monks exercise.
If we hang around all corners of the room and park we can find many Buddhist statues. Among there are two beautiful ones; Parinirwana and Buddha statues. Both are made from bronze coated with gold gifts from Thailand and Sri Langka in 1977. These statues are place in different rooms. Buddhist Parinirwana statue visualized Buddha reaching heaven or Hindus term Moksha (eternity). Other biggest Buddhist statues at the park in Brahmavihara Arama are about 31 statues. They are made from sandstone or concrete showing the symbol that there are 31 stages of nature outside heaven. Other important holydays at Brahmavihara Arama are Waicak comes every Purnamasiddhi (Full moon). In may, once a year. It is to celebrate:
- The birth of Buddha in Prnamasiddhi Waisaka Puja.
- The reaching of Heaven by Buddha that is a perfect freedom
- When Buddha reached Parinirwana (eternity)
Photo Gallery Buddist Temple Banjar
We are very happy to be lead and show the attractions you visit so that will also show places that are still unique attractions such as Balinese dance, Balinese customs, Panorama Bali and Local Handicrafts with Bali’s price is very cheap. And you can design a tour or a tour that will visit.
Don’t waste your time…
Call our 24 hours hot line (WhatsApp) at: +(62) 81-2397-7705
E-mail: info @ balibushire.com for further information. You can also reach us via Skye to discuss your travel needs and plans.